Monday, October 6, 2008

Movie Weekend and Sarah Palin

It was a fairly quiet weekend for Vivian and me. It seems of late that we've been spending so much time with friends on the weekend that we neglect such mundane things as staying home to do laundry, tidy up the place, and actually relax a bit when we get the chance. We still went out a couple times, but we made an effort to take this weekend off as much as possible. As such, I wasn't snapping pictures and video everywhere we went.

On Friday night, we had an impromptu double-date with another couple from GAMe and watched Fireproof. It's an independent Christian movie I heard about on Focus on the Family, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was actually a great romantic comedy. It was very well written, fun to watch, and included a Christian message in a meaningful without beating it over your head. The movie holds its own against any romantic comedy I've seen from Hollywood, and for an indie film made by volunteers on a nearly nonexistent budget, that's saying something.

In contrast, we saw An American Carol with some of our GAMe friends on Saturday. It was a spoof of Michael Moore done by David Zucker of the famous Airplane and Naked Gun Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker trio. I laughed a couple times during the movie, but the movie was so over-the-top with its liberal bashing (literally) that I found myself involuntarily cringing. I'm afraid it's one I won't be getting on DVD, which is a shame.

Sarah Palin and Dave HeinemanOn Sunday night, Vivian and I dropped by the Omaha Civic Auditorium to see Sarah Palin. A crowd of thousands packed its way into the place, and Vivian and I were forced to stand out in the overflow room. I was afraid we'd only get to see the Governor of Alaska on the big projected screen in the center of the room, but she managed to stop by for a brief speech to those of us who didn't get inside the main auditorium. It's rare Nebraska gets to see such a high-profile candidate, and it was definitely worth the brief trip downtown to stand around an hour or two.

1 comment:

Shimmy said...

Sarah Palin is thankful that the Constitution is a history leaflet that would allow a bit more authority given to the vice president, if that vice president so chose to exert it, in working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of every throb of the spectacular machinery, of the president's policies, and of making sure, too, that our president understands what our strengths are.