Monday, May 10, 2010

15 minutes of fame

P1040085.JPG P1040105.JPG

It's been a fun, busy week for Vivian and me, with lots of cool things happening in a fairly short space of time. On Wednesday last week, I finally got around to mowing our lawn for the very first time. I had to get up early in the morning in order to make time for it (in-between rain showers and other activities). That evening we both went down to South Omaha to celebrate Cinco de Mayo at El Dorado, a lovely Mexican restaurant on the corner of 24th and Q. They specialize in seafood, and la comida es muy auténtica — our waitress didn't speak much English, and I had to fall back on what I could remember of my high school Spanish in order to translate.

On Friday, I crossed another big milestone in my life: I turned one billion seconds old at 11:45 a.m. (something that happens only twice in an average lifetime)!

P1040147.JPG P1040155.JPG

I dropped by JNO on Friday, and our good friends from Sioux Falls David and Anna got to spend the night at our place. On Saturday, Vivian and I had some fun trekking down to Lincoln to explore the Secret Bridges for a little while. We returned home that evening with avocado smoothies and Big Sal's pizza to enjoy our Netflix account. Yes, we finally subscribed to the DVD-rental-by-mail cult, and we've filled up our queue to more than 50 different films so far. We managed to cross off Revenge of the Nerds, D.A.R.Y.L., and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan off the list in the first three days. Hopefully it'll be worth our $9 a month.
Secret Bridges trip

P1040268.JPG P1040284.JPG

Sunday was Mother's Day, of course, and Vivian prepared a delicious brunch of crustless quiche and strawberry crepes for her parents and me. We also gave her a goofy toad for her garden. I gave my own mom in North Carolina a call to say Happy Mother's Day and make sure she got the flowers we'd had delivered.

We had enough time afterward to drop by the very first Lindy in the Park of the season, working off a few of our excess calories just in time to have some ice cream at Ted & Wally's immediately afterward.

P1040517.JPG P1040493.JPG

The biggest highlight of the whole week, however, came on Sunday night. On Valentine's Day, I'd given Vivian tickets to see Whose Line all-stars Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood live at the Holland Center downtown. They were as funny on stage and in person as they were on TV, and guess who got called up on stage for the sound effects game toward the end of the show? That's right — me! It was quite a thrill to shake hands with two brilliant comedians I've watched on TV for so many years. It was also pretty exciting to burp on command and hum "La Cucaracha" as an imaginary car horn for a couple thousand people.

No comments: