Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Nueve de Mayo and Mother's Day

DSCF0012.JPG DSCF0034.JPG

Vivian and I had a pretty busy weekend. On Friday night, we dropped by the house of Vivian's co-worker Sally to attend her graduation party. Sally had just gotten her Master's Degree, so we filled up on cake and hors d'oeurves before trying to burn it off a little later at Jitterbugs Night Out. Her house is in the Stony Brook section of Omaha, which Vivian and I instantly fell in love with. We actually spent close to an hour driving about looking at houses and might be changing our mind about fleeing down to Bellevue or Papillion when we settle down and buy a home.

We made an appearance at the Eagle's Lodge a little later. Vivian and I have been trying to get back into the "swing of things," but I keep feeling some kind of a funk at the old FOE building these days. Maybe it's the gloomy "for sale" sign out front, or the Jitterbugs' catalog of music, which I'm guessing would barely fill a 128 meg MP3 player, is starting to get old. In either case, I give props to whoever decided to play Indigo Swing after the shim sham -- a healthy dose of neo-swing can always get me back on the floor.

DSCF0076.JPG DSCF0141.JPG

On Saturday night, our mutual friend Benta hosted a Nueve de Mayo party at her house in West Omaha. It seems like the south-of-the-border holiday has extended to more than a week by now, but we enjoyed it. A bunch of us got to take a crack at a piƱata in the basement, and then we got to put together some homemade maracas with paper cups and rice. The homemade guacamole was quite good as well, but I found myself getting droopy eyed before midnight. I'm guessing my age is starting to catch up to me.

DSCF0171.JPG DSCF0240.JPG

On Sunday, we celebrated the return of Lindy in the Park down at the Gene Leahy Mall. This is the third year I've participated in the free, outdoor swing dance, and it was the first time some of our newer friends Kristin and Anna got to join in the fun. Ben Cass was kind enough to bring food for everyone, including sloppy joes, coleslaw, and some delicious strawberry cake.

Vivian and I headed down to Bellevue afterward to celebrate Mother's Day with Donna. We got to eat ham and au gratin potatoes outdoors and play a little croquet when it wasn't raining. Vivian also brought a delicious triple-berry pie that she baked (the first pie she's ever baked from scratch, which turned out quite delicious).

It was a fun-filled weekend, and I got close to filling up the 2 gig card on Vivian's camera with photos and video of all the fun. It definitely felt good to have a bunch of new shots to toss up on the old Flickr account.

No comments: