Monday, February 16, 2009

Snowy Valentine's Weekend

IMG_9694.JPGIt's been another busy week for Vivian and me, with Valentine's Day, a Wedding, and a blizzard adding to our usual fun of hanging out with friends from our variety of social circles. On Wednesday last week, Eric called the Order of the Shovel together at Famous Dave's for a fun night of eating barbecue. I'm glad we had the chance to get together, because the blizzard that hit Omaha on Friday wound up cancel ling the long-anticipated Pink Party. I'm always amused when the "Shovelers" get together, because it seems several of us have digital cameras and spend much of our time snapping photos of each other for no apparent reason. Lisa felt obgligated to explain to the other patron in the restaurant that "we're always like this." I usually just hope they think this is some kind of a class/family reunion and we don't get to see each other several other week as it is.

IMG_9714.JPGOn Friday, I decided to have Valentine's Day a little bit early so I could surprise Vivian at work. A passing snowstorm dumped several inches of the white stuff on Omaha, so I suppose Vvian was even more surprised when I showed up with roses, soup, and hot cocoa. HyVee was selling blue roses this year, so I was able to get one of those for Vivian as well, since blue is her favorite color. On Saturday, Vivian treated me to a Valentine's Day breakfast with heart-shaped pancakes and bacon arranged like an arrow, which was very sweet. That evening, we cuddled up on the couch and watched Sixteen Candles, courtesy of my laptop and iTunes.

IMG_9859.JPGIt was a fairly quiet Valentine's Day this year, because we spent most of our time helping our friends Craig and Debby get married. I was recruited to be an usher at their wedding, so Vivian and I showed up on Friday to learn what to do at the ceremony and reception afterward. We got to have dinner at Spaghetti Works in the Old Market when we were done and got a fairly good night's rest before the big day on Saturday.

Vivian and I actually got to the church early at ten o'clock so she could make lunch for the wedding party as their photos were being taken. The ceremony itself was a two o'clock, and I made sure to get plenty of photos and video inbetween my ushering duties. It was a lovely ceremony, and we got to have the reception in the basement of 1316 Jones Street, where GAMe holds its weekly bible studies. It was a good time, but after about ten straight hours of standing up, I was about ready to collapse when Vivian and I got home.

DSCF0805.JPGOn Sunday, Vivian and I had every intention of spending the day resting up, but a bunch of our friends decided to take advantage of the recent snowfall and go sledding out in Northwest Omaha. I hadn't been sledding since I was a kid, and Vivian had been wanting to go sledding all year, so we couldn't say no. We had a great time, and I was able to relive a bit of my childhood in Michigan sliding down the steep hill by Standing Bear Lake and trying not to wipe out on an slippery, inflatable sled. Venche had the bright idea of starting a snowball fight as a few of our friends tried to get back up the hill after one run. I stayed far enough back to take photos before joining in.

In all, it's been a great week, and I'm glad we'd been able to see many different groups of friends who for one reason or another don't always hang out together. I'm also glad I was able to put the camera down long enough to have some fun with everyone this time around.


No comments: