It has been a tremendously eventful year to say the very least. I've gotten a new job, moved to a new city, gotten married, and had all kinds of fun with friends and family here and around the country. Vivian and I were able to ring in the New Year the same way we did 366 days ago: with a sparkling cider toast in the basement of 1316 Jones Street at GAMe's New Year's Eve party. We had live music courtesy of Big Bo and the Biscuit Eaters, who covered a series of very danceable songs as dozens of us squeezed into the too-small dance floor to bump into each other in a crude mockery of East Coast Swing. They had plenty of other things going on as well, including two rooms of Rock Band, Apples to Apples, and Foosball. After the party, we dropped by Eric's apartment for some waffles and do-it-yourself mixed drinks.
2008 was truly a year to remember. Here are a few of the highlights from the thousands of pictures I've taken:
- January: We have a shoot-out at Hugh's house and I make a modest proposal to Vivian.
- February: Who needs crowded, overpriced restaurants on Valentine's Day when you can get take-out steak dinner and open a bottle of sweet Nebraska wine?
- March: An 80s party, air-guitar karaoke, and singing Love Shack with a group of lovely backup singers. What could be more radical?
- April: Vivian and I take a trip to Cedar Rapids to celebrate my Uncle Ben's 70th birthday and meet several members of my extended family, including Grandma Gibbs, Ben and Shannon (our ring-bearer and flower girl, respectively).
- May: Vivian and sign the lease for our new apartment, and I move on up to Omaha with the help of a few good friends!
- June: Goodbye, Land and Sky! I started a new career in Omaha had one last round of goodbye drinks with my co-workers the night before my last day.
- July: Vivian and I tie the knot and escape to "Bah-ha-bah" Maine for a week.
- August: I turn 30. Hold me, please.
- September: Vivian turns 29. She's catching up to me.
- October: I get to visit Vivian's hometown of Petaluma, meet more of her family, and attend her ten-year high school reunion.
- November: Comic Genesis friends Dan "Vorticus" Zastrow and Michelle "Dragonmajik" Mayo get married in Kansas City. I wind up being the Best Man.
- December: My dear Grandma Gibbs passes away, and nearly the entire family comes together to remember. Vivian gets to meet more of my goofy side of the family.