Thursday, May 29, 2008

Goodbye, Lincoln

IMG_9799.JPG IMG_9636.JPG

It's been a exhausting weekend for both Vivian and me, as we both moved out of our apartments completely this weekend and now have a two-bedroom home bursting at the seams with all of our accumulated stuff. It had for both of us to say goodbye to our old apartments. I've lived at Fountain Glen for six years now, which apparently is an eternity for an apartment. I've had a whole lot of memories of that little place, but hopefully many more in my new home in Omaha.

In the process of moving, I discovered the easiest way in the world to give away large pieces of furniture: forget about Goodwill and post the item on Craig's List. Goodwill refused to pick up my bed frame because the drawer fronts were coming off, and Vivian couldn't get them to pick up a perfectly good computer desk in Omaha on a Saturday. I thought both of our things would be headed for the dumpster when I tried Craig's list. Within minutes of placing an ad for my free bed, I had a dozen or more people calling me wanting to pick up it. It was gone by that afternoon. I did the same with Vivian—I placed an ad close to midnight on Friday, and fifteen minutes later, a guy calls wanting to pick up the desk. Where charity fails, Craig's List prevails.

IMG_9651.JPG IMG_9644.JPG

Before moving out, I had to stop by and say goodbye properly to Mike and Bekah, two close friends of mine since about the time I moved here in 2002. I've been able to watch their two kids Drew and Alexa growing up, and now they have a third one on the way. We used to see each other all the time, but now it's going to be a rare occasion as I'll be living fifty miles away. We spent the evening having dinner, then playing "airplane" on an old car seat outside and drawing with chalk on the driveway.

IMG_9756.JPG IMG_9754.JPG

On Saturday night, we attended Becky and Gabe's reception at Chez Hay in downtown Lincoln. Becky's been an estranged Jitterbug for sometime, and it has been fairly convenient for Vivian to drive down to see both me and her at times for a bridal shower or Mardi Gras party. We'll hopefully be able to see her again soon, perhaps on a swing night at the Pla-Mor ballroom.

No comments: