Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Auto insurance: it really HERTZ

IMG_1500.jpg
Last July I spent a week visiting Dusan Jeftinija, a friend living in Lexington, Kentucky who does the web comic introduced me to swing dancing. While I was in town, I rented a car from Hertz because I got a 10% off coupon from my auto insurance company. Unfortunately, on my second day of exploring the city, I managed to get rear-ended by this guy.

He wasn't watching where he was going, and he admitted the accident was his fault right there when the officer arrived to take statements. I naturally assumed his most of the damages to his car, less a $500 that my agent tells me I'll probably never reclaim.

Then there's Hertz, who have been sending me, personally, nasty letters demanding money ever since this event transpired. I've passed these along to my insurance agency, but yesterday I received this little gem in my mailbox:



That's right. They've added on a few cute little "charges" to my total bill for an accident that was someone scot-free when he rear-ends somebody.

Anyhow, I have a little extra time to take care of these details today because have a delightful snow-day here in Nebraska. Our weekly blizzard tore through the state last night and left the roads hazardous to close schools and businesses for the day, so my original plans to go dancing with friends from Omaha at the Pla-Mor for Swing Night were unfortunately canceled. In the meantime, I'll catch up on comics, freelance work, and figuring out how I can get out of paying a couple hundreds bucks to an auto-rental company that really HERTZ my checking account.

No comments: